Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Child is Rescued

Well, I think every parent eventually does something like this, and it happened to me the other day. I was leaving to go get Sammie from school so I put Davis in the car (not in the car seat) and ran to get my purse. Davis LOVES to get in the front seat and mess with all of the buttons and that is exactly where I found him when I came back into the garage. I put my purse in the front seat and grabbed him to put him in his car seat. I buckled him in, shut the van door and went around to the drivers side to get in and guess what.....the door was locked and my purse was on the passenger seat. I had done it. I locked my kid in the car. I remember a friend of mine telling me that if you have a child locked in the car, you can call 911 and they will come and "rescue" the child. My sister-in-law is a 911 dispatcher, so we called her at home and asked if that was true. She told us to call the non-emergency number, so we did. About 10 minutes later an ambulance arrives and saved the day. Davis was really upset that he couldn't get out but as soon as the ambulance arrived, he was OK. I guess I was glad that it happened at my house, not at some parking lot. We eventually got a spare key. We finally realized why we hadn't made a spare and it is because it is so EXPENSIVE!!!

4 comments:

Denette said...

I haven't locked a kid in the car.... yet. I have locked my keys in the car at a Walmart parking lot. Bailey was tiny and not a happy camper. So I got to carry all my shopping bags around with me until someone could rescue me.

I'm glad you got a picture with the ambulance. That is great.

Camille said...

I did the same thing a few months ago. Except it wasn't even my own child, it was a friend's little girl who I was watching. Not only were the keys locked in but my only phone too. Thank goodness for neighbors and the nice firemen who saved the day! I never thought it would happen to me but I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Machelle Kay said...

I thought you locked a kid in a car down in arizona. Maybe I am mistaken. But glad Davis didn't get too upset.

State Senator Pam Roach said...

WOW...I missed this when I was gone!!! I saw the boating pictures but didn't go down far enough to see this one!